Saturday, January 29, 2011

Well THAT was Awful!

Started the new medication tonight with Mary and let me tell you it was 20 minutes of torture for her! Saphris is a sublingual medicine that you have to put under your tongue and let it dissolve. You can't eat or drink anything for 10 minutes after you take it. Evidently the 2 flavors it comes in is black cherry and olive? We chose the black cherry thank you very much. Unfortunately the black cherry was not very good flavor either. Mary said it tasted horrible! Within a minute she was screaming in pain because her tongue hurt. She was also complaining of a massive headache within a couple of minutes of taking the medicine. She hated me, hated the doctor, etc. We waited out the ten minutes with her anger and pain escalating the entire time. When she could finally have some water, she couldn't swallow it because the pain in her mouth was that bad and she felt like her tongue was swelling. Then she started to feel very nauseous and started drooling uncontrollably. I helped her into the bathroom where she did throw up and was complaining that she was having trouble breathing. I couldn't tell if her lips were swelling or if they just looked like it because she was crying so hard. For a few minutes I thought we were going to get to go for another ride in the back of an ambulance. By that time the medicine had hit her blood stream and she was so sleepy that her eyes were rolling back in her head and she could hardly make it up the stairs. She is sleeping peacefully for now on my bedroom floor where I will keep a close eye on her all night. I am rethinking the wisdom of starting a medication on a weekend where I have to call the emergency number to reach the pdoc? Not sure if I should try that again tomorrow night or not? I would hate for the second dose to cause a more severe reaction than the first dose, which I know can sometimes be the case. I will keep you posted...

2 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty scary. Will be kepeing you in my prayers and hoping today was better.
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I hope you get answers fast!

    ReplyDelete