Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Notes to Self...

Sorry it has been so long since I updated everyone. It has been a really crazy 5 days with lots of trips (80 miles round trip) to the hospital, meetings with social workers, phone calls with insurance, etc., etc.

Here are just a few of my "top ten" notes that I have been trying to keep stored in my befuddled brain for future reference. Of course I hope that I never have to use them, but the likelihood of that is pretty slim. So, without further ado...

1) If at all possible, don't admit to a psychiatric hospital on a Friday or Saturday. Most likely the doctor that will be assigned to your case will not see your child until Monday morning and there just seemed to be LOTS of confusion, medical mix-ups, and bad communication between the hospital and the home.

2) Keep good records of the medications that have been tried prior to admitting your child to the hospital. If possible list the start date, dosage amount, side effects, benefits seen, and date stopped. And of course try to keep the list to 1 page so that the doctors can actually have time to read over it.

3) Try to stay flexible. Enough said on that one.

4) Try to remember that the end result will be worth the frustration.

5) One hour goes by so fast! Enjoy every moment of those visits.

6) Psychiatric wards and strings don't mix. They won't let you have any clothing with drawstrings, spaghetti straps, laces, or shoe strings.

7) Letters and pictures from friends are priceless! As is paper and pencils to be able to write back to them.

8) Those therapy dogs are great! It really cheers up the kids to be able to snuggle and play with a furry friend.

9) Accept any help offered with meals and childcare for the other kids in the family. Wow, have you all been great! I don't know how we would be making it through this week without your help.

10) Remember who is in control. He has our ultimate good in mind. He never promises that the road we walk will be easy, but He does promise to be there with us guiding us every step of the way.

My theme song for this week has been Jeremy Camp's song "There Will Be a Day". In fact that is the ringtone set on my phone for whenever the hospital or any of the doctors call. I do believe that there will be a day when we will have no more tears, no more pain and no more fears. I long for that day for my child. I know we won't see it fully here on this earth, but we have the hope of it in heaven. And I am so very thankful for doctors, medications, friends, and family who give us just a taste of what we have to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment