Saturday, April 17, 2010

First Reflections

I am thinking a little more clearly than I was last night, so I thought I would take a minute and reflect back on our experiences yesterday and today. I still think that we have made the best decision. We were able to visit Mary today for an hour and she seemed overall happy and adjusting well to her new environment. She is making friends. She was really hoping to have a roommate, but doesn't, so this is a matter to take to the Lord in prayer. We are praying for someone that she can bond with and be able to form a good friendship with while she is there. There were a few things we were not happy about (and she wasn't either), but hopefully some good communication between us, our regular doctors, and the nurses on staff there has resolved those issues.

Now for my reflections on yesterday... my first impression when we got to her floor was that all of the kids there seem very "normal". It was like being in any camp/daycare type of facility except that the wards are locked down so you can't get in or out without a key and going through metal detectors and security. The kids seemed happy. The walls were painted bright and cheerful with colorful murals everywhere. It was not ANYTHING like I had pictured it in my mind.

We did over hear some group therapy going on while we were filling out the millionth piece of paperwork and answering the same question for the zillionth time. I think that the therapy will be intense and there will certainly be times when she doesn't like what they are talking about. But at the same time, I think that they purposely lead the kids down those tough roads so that they can learn how to deal with those bad feelings in a safe environment. It is not unlike some of the training we went through before we went to the mission field.

God is definitely trying to address my own pride these past few days. I did show up in the ER with Mary still in my pj's with no shower, makeup, or having even brushed my hair or teeth. They saw me at my finest??? NOT! For now, showers are a luxury that we may or may not have time for, makeup is useless because I will just cry it all off, and who has time or energy to worry about what I am going to wear or if my hair is fixed. There will be time for all of that later after she is healthy again. And my house will just have to suffer as well. There will be dog hair on the carpet and the bathrooms will not be cleaned. And I am okay with that!

So, there you have just a few of the million thoughts floating through my mind at any given moment. Overall I am at peace. God is good all the time, and all the time God is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment