Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Thankful for a Good Night's Sleep

I am sorry for the long silence on here. It seems that life has gotten in the way of blogging lately and I really have not had much to share. Well that is not entirely true, there is lots going on... but much of it is the same old, same old and I don't want to bore everyone with the same old stuff.

Today, however, I am very thankful for a good night's sleep for my girl. She has had a nagging cough the past week and it had gotten to the point that she was not sleeping at night because she was coughing all night long. Because of all the different prescription medications that she takes to manage her bipolar disorder, many over-the-counter medicines are off limits to us. Yesterday I finally broke down and asked for a prescription cough medicine for her in an effort to get her a good night of sleep. You see, when bipolar children do not sleep, it can trigger manic cycling. Add to that the fact that her grandfather passed away this weekend, and the fact that spring is in the air, well, you get the picture. It could be a recipe for disaster. I was a bit nervous about adding one more prescription medication to the mix, especially because it is a narcotic medication. But she was asleep by 7:30 last night and slept all night long without any coughing. Praise the Lord for sleep!

3 comments:

  1. Praise God, I’m so glad she got some good sleep. My son is coughing a lot too, he was even sent home from school for it today, the school nurse mentioned getting him some cough medicine and my first thought was, what will that do to him? Will his doctor allow it? You bring up a good point about avoiding this stuff.

    I’m sorry to hear about Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! So glad your little girl finally got some good rest-hope you're getting some, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to hear - I'm sure you both needed that sleep. And I know exactly what you mean about sleep deprivation as a trigger. Lily's first psychotic break came on the heels of a sleepless sleepover.

    Hope you have another good nights sleep!
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete