Friday, December 3, 2010

Ghost in the Night

Wow, 3 posts in 3 days... Aren't you proud of me???

Evidently Mary had some type of dream/hallucination last night. She did not tell me about it until around 5:00 this afternoon. When she did tell me, she was very calm and did not seem bothered by it at all. She said she woke up during the night, and saw what looked like a ghost to her. She was able to describe it quite well. It looked like a person that you could see through. It was standing by her window (3 stories up). It moved and looked at her. It was mean looking. She keeps insisting she was awake, and that it was not a dream. HHHMMMMM???

She has had visual hallucinations before, but they always involved what she has decided to be her "guardian angel". But it has been a really long time since she has had any of these type of things, so long in fact, she doesn't even remember it happening before. She has also described having monsters living in her brain in the past, but this is very different. It goes back to that unreasonable fear of things you know are not real, but what if they could be. We talked about how sometimes our brains can play tricks on us when we are half asleep. She understands that, but to her it still feels very real.

She remained calm about the whole incident last night until it was time to go to bed tonight. As soon as we went into her room to get her settled, panic set in. Her eyes were wide and darting around. She was very worried about seeing it again. I ended up putting her in our room on a few blankets. Even then she did not want me to leave her alone. Every noise made her sit up and look around asking what made the noise. It took her quite a while to settle down enough to fall asleep.

The itching has continued today and after talking with the pdoc briefly we decided to switch back to the doxepin and see if that helps. If not, then I will call again on Monday. I did end up giving it to her a little bit early tonight because she was just soooo itchy. I was hoping that it would start to work quickly to stop the itching, but now I am glad that I gave it to her early for another reason. It makes her sleepy and after her problems settling in tonight, I know if I had given it to her later, she would still be struggling to fall asleep.

Tonight I am praying Psalm 4:8 on Mary's behalf... "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety."

No comments:

Post a Comment